The GOMIX Coating System is a direct-applied coating system for concrete, masonry or stucco walls. The system protects and refurbishes exterior walls, providing a low-cost, permanent solution.
Provide all labour, materials and equipment necessary to install the GOMIX Coating System.
The GOMIX Coating System is a direct-applied coating system for concrete, masonry or stucco walls. The system protects and refurbishes exterior walls, providing a low-cost, permanent solution. The application consists of the following components:
1) Base coat;
2) Glass fibre mesh;
3) 100% acrylic finish coat (and primer).
1) All work undertaken must comply with current codes, norms, construction best practices, as well as the manufacturer’s installation instructions;
2) The substrate system shall be engineered to withstand all applicable loads, including live, dead, seismic, positive and negative forces, etc.;
3) On horizontal surfaces, the minimum slope of the system shall be a 6:12 pitch with a maximum length of 250mm (10″);
4) Expansion joints that allow for building movement shall be installed in the following locations:
a) At control joints in the substrate;
b) At expansion joints in the building;
c) Where dissimilar materials or substrates meet;
d) Anywhere specified on the plans;
e) At a maximum distance of 10m (30ft), to counter thermal expansion.
1) System manufacturer shall be Gomix Building Materials Co., Limited
2) The applicator shall have a sufficient amount of material and enough qualified labour at his disposal to install the system.
3) The applicator shall follow all professional’s directions when installing system components.
1) All materials supplied by Gomix Building Materials Co., Limited shall be delivered in their original packages with intact and legible labels.
2) All materials supplied by Gomix Building Materials Co., Limited shall be stored in a cool dry location, out of the sunlight, protected from weather and other damage and at temperatures above 5ºC (40ºF).
3) Materials suspected of having been exposed to freezing must not be used.
4) Minimise the exposure of containers to temperatures exceeding 32ºC (90ºF).
1) All materials supplied by Gomix Building Materials Co., Limited shall be delivered in their sealed, original packaging with their labels legible and intact.
2) All materials supplied by Gomix Building Materials Co., Limited shall be stored in a cool, dry location at temperatures above 5ºC (41ºF) and protected from weather and other damage.
3) Store materials away from direct sunlight and protect from temperatures in excess of 32ºC (90ºF).
4) Materials suspected of having been frozen or damaged must not be used.
Systems considered equivalent to GOMIX Coating System shall be approved by the architect, in writing, at least ten (10) working days prior to the project bid date.
Upon request, the manufacturer shall provide a five-year limited warranty, stating that materials conform to specifications and are free of manufacturing defects.
All components of the system shall be obtained from Gomix Building Materials Co., Limited or its authorised distributors. No substitution or addition of other materials is permitted without written consent from the manufacturer.
Shall be a 100% acrylic-based, asbestos-free or cement based product, manufactured by Gomix Building Materials Co., Limited, such as Gomix Base Coat.
Fibre-reinforced base coat:
a) Shall be suitable for levelling between 2.4mm and 6.4 mm (3/32″ and 1/4″) per coat;
b) Shall be a fibre-reinforced, 100% acrylic-based, asbestos-free product, made by Gomix Building Materials Co., Limited, such as PB02 Base Coat.
Glass Fibre Mesh:
c) Shall be alkali resistant according to ANSI 99-A-2001;
d) Shall be sold by Gomix Building Materials Co., Limited or by one of its authorised distributors;
e) Shall meet ASTM E-2098 and ASTM D-5035 standards;
f) Shall have different weights according to specific needs:
Design mesh: 150g/m2 (4.5 oz/yd2)
Standard mesh: 190g/m (6 oz/yd2)
Shall be an acrylic and silica mix that can be applied by roller, such as Primer S, manufactured by Gomix Building Materials Co., Limited.
a) Shall be factory-mixed, 100% acrylic-based, ready-to-use, containing integral colour and texture;
b) The texture shall be [see GOMIX CATALOGUE].
1) Inspect the substrate to verify that it is structurally sound and solid, ensuring there are not any irregular voids or projections.
2) Remove all paint coatings from the surface.
3) Rough surfaces shall be mechanically buffed.
4) Remove any oil, grease, efflorescence, sealant or other material that may hinder adhesion of the system.
5) Inspect all metal flashing to ensure that it is properly installed and will provide adequate drainage.
6) The architect and general contractor shall be advised of any discrepancies. Work shall not proceed until unsatisfactory conditions are corrected
a) In a clean container, mix Gomix Base Coat and water at a ratio 4:1(by weight) of one-to-one;
b) It is mixed using a high speed drill, allowed to stand for 10 minutes, remixed and used.
c) All other additives (such as rapid binder, anti-freeze, accelerator or others) are strictly prohibited.
a) Thoroughly clean the surface of the wall;
b) Apply an initial layer of Gomix Base Coat to fill any surface cracks or mortar joints.
c) Allow drying for 24 hours (or more) before application of the second coat
d) Apply a second coat of the Gomix Base Coat mixture (according to the required thickness) to the wall to obtain a smooth and uniform surface;
e) (Optional) Embed the glass fibre mesh into the Gomix Base Coat:
The surface shall be smoothed until the mesh is fully embedded.
The mesh shall be lapped a minimum of 63mm (2-1/2″) on all sides.
The glass fibre mesh shall be installed to heights indicated in the plans.
a) All battens and grooves shall have an outward-facing slope to prevent moisture from accumulating on them;
b) An additional coat of the Gomix Base Coat mixture may be required if, after drying, there are imperfections or the mesh is not completely embedded;
c) A period of 24 hours shall elapse prior to installing the finish coat.
a) With a roller, apply an even coat of GOMIX primer prior to installing the finish coat;
b) Trowel-apply a tight coat of GOMIX Finish, texture [see GOMIX CATALOGUE] to a thickness not greater than the largest aggregate. Apply the finish coat in a continuous fashion, maintaining a wet edge. Levelling and texturing shall take place in one operation to give the GOMIX Finish a uniform appearance;
c) Avoid applications in direct sunlight;
d) Finish coat shall not be used where caulking will be applied.
1) Remove waste and left over materials (used in this Section) from the job site.
2) Clean all adjacent materials and surfaces, and repair any defects caused to this application or any other work.
1) Ensure that the general contractor protects all work against moisture infiltration and other damages by installing the necessary flashing and caulking in a timely manner.
2) Provide protection against dirt, moisture, high humidity, and freezing temperatures until materials are fully dry.
Download Coating-Systerm (317 KB PDF File)